Desktop Support Technician
Salary $27.14 - $31.73 Hourly Location Tukwila, WA Job TypeRegular Full-TimeDivisionADMINISTRATION Job Number2019096 Closing 12/2/2019 4:30 PM Pacific
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization is a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. KCHA is a national leader in providing innovative and effective housing solutions so that people and communities can prosper. Our vision is that all residents of King County have quality affordable housing. KCHA is the largest housing provider in the county, and annually, the agency serves over 55,000 low-income individuals.
We transform lives through housing.
The Desktop Support Technician provides technical IT support and performs administration work that involves working with users to resolve computer hardware and software issues located both onsite and offsite. Work involves scheduled and unscheduled travel to multiple sites throughout Western Washington to troubleshoot and resolve those issues. Responsibilities include: managing equipment inventory by researching, ordering, receiving, labeling, moving, tracking equipment locations/assignments, and surplussing obsolete equipment; planning and implementing project-based solutions, as well as proposing solutions to common and ongoing problems; Handling a wide variety of technical issues and unpredictable demands without prior notice; providing individual or group end-user training as necessary for various technical topics. Additionally, this position will be researching new technologies to resolve and improve current procedures/problems and advising and assisting both the Infrastructure and Application Development teams as needed.
- Receives support and information requests via phone, email, or in person to assist users in resolving computer, software, printer, phone, and other peripheral issues. Requires troubleshooting software, hardware, and connectivity issues. Provides one-on-one training to users on the use of standard and nonstandard agency software including the operating systems and office suite applications. Assesses issues to determine if equipment needs repair or replacement, or escalates to other Infrastructure staff.
- Supports local VoIP hardware and software by ordering, installing, troubleshooting, repairing, replacing, relocating and inventory tracking. Supports agency hardware and software for mobile devices. Provides tier two support for the Telecommunication Specialist.
- Maintains Information Technology van by coordinating scheduled maintenance, unforeseen repairs, cleaning, stocking and organizing.
- Orders, installs, maintains and tracks desktop scanners. Coordinates with Application Development for approval of installations and user profile setups.
- Responsible for the planning, setup, movement, tracking, replacement, lifecycle, and surplus of desktop computer hardware, printers, and other peripherals. Works with users to coordinate equipment replacements and relocation. Works with vendors to identify and price equipment for purchase. Generates and submits requisitions and orders equipment.
- Installs, updates, troubleshoots, and schedules software installations across the entire agency. Will push software updates and deploy new applications in both large and small-scale deployments as necessary. Maintains software inventory to track licenses and ensure that license agreements are met. Prepares requisitions for required nonstandard software.
- Responsible for inventory management for all agency desktops, laptops, printers, mobile devices, phones, scanners and related peripherals. This includes receiving and asset tagging equipment, documenting purchase information, tracking equipment locations, performing audits, creating inventory reports, managing lifecycles, and surplussing end-of-life, and stolen, lost or defective equipment.
- Initiates and/or assists with project planning and implementations, including researching, purchasing and deploying new hardware and software.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge and education to ensure agency technology remains appropriately current. Researches new solutions to ongoing problems or improvements and develops proposals for implementation and streamlining processes. Tests updated and new operating systems and applications to find bugs and incompatibilities prior to deploying to users.
- Documents solutions to common problems and communicates these solutions to computer users and other Information Technology department staff, outlining steps performed to solve issues and writing how-to documents and videos to share with staff and users.
- Prepares and maintains required reports, records, logs and files for operational, administrative and compliance purposes. Prepares and submits budget reports for lifecycles and upgrades for the following year.
- Covers Help Desk absences by answering phones, walk-ins and responding to Help Desk tickets.
Qualifications and Competencies
- High School Diploma or GED AND
- A minimum of two years of experience in desktop and/or help desk support OR
- An equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understands technical aspects of the job and continuously stays up-to-date on the technical or procedural aspects of the job including knowledge of:
- Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, through the current version of Windows 10;
- Microsoft Office Professional applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, Skype for Business, PowerPoint, InfoPath, Access, Project and Visio;
- Virus and spyware protection tools such as McAfee VirusScan Enterprise;
- Help Desk ticketing, tracking, and inventory system such as TrackIt;
- Desktop imaging deployment software;
- Desktop, laptop and tablet computer support, troubleshooting, diagnosis, and repair including related peripherals such as scanners and laser printers;
- Basic network connectivity troubleshooting skills and understanding of TCP/IP.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively; remains professional, calm and tactful in stressful situations.
- Experience and commitment to providing exceptional customer service to a diverse population of; ability to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly and effectively communicate with individuals and groups; ability to present and explain complex information regarding policies and procedures.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise and accurate documentation, user guides, reports of work performed, and other written materials.
- Ability to troubleshoot basic hardware and software issues with computers, printers, and other peripherals, and perform minor repairs or fixes over the phone and remotely.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply detailed and technical manuals and verbal/visual instructions, as well as understand documented procedures, flow charts, operating systems, and computer operations concepts.
- Values organizational diversity; treats other with respect; promotes cooperation; works effectively and positively with individuals of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and educationally diverse populations.
- Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities; responds to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- Consent to and pass required assessments.
- Consent to and pass a driver's and criminal records background check.
- Must possess a valid driver's license to regularly travel between construction sites.
Position Information and Application Process
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range of this position is $27.14 – $31.73 per hour. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, reduced tuition, and retirement benefits are also available.
Physical Work Environment:
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in office environments. Work requires mobility and balance, lifting and carrying of computer equipment and peripherals up to 40 pounds, kneeling, crouching, crawling, bending and twisting when installing and troubleshooting computer equipment. Uses standard and specialized office equipment including personal computers, telephone, and related equipment.
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.