Our Mission: We use tabletop gaming as a campfire – a place to gather, share and celebrate –for the sake of cultivating deeper relationships with our customers, amongst ourselves, with our communities, and the world.
Card Kingdom is an online retailer that specializes in selling and buying Magic: The Gathering singles. Noted for our love of the community and the game, Card Kingdom serves players all over the world. In addition to its eCommerce business, Card Kingdom owns and operates the award-winning game store and restaurant, Mox Boarding House, with locations in Seattle, Bellevue, and Portland. Card Kingdom’s headquarters are located on Queen Anne Hill, and just a short drive to Mox Seattle in Ballard. We are seeking an experienced Director of Human Resources to lead our HR team of four. This position is located in Seattle and will report to the President.
Our Benefits: Excellent health benefits with company contribution toward dependent coverage, Generous PTO and flexible scheduling, remote work opportunities, paid parental leave, safe harbor 401k match, ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program) paid holidays and employee discounts. We are a family friendly culture that supports work life balance.
The Human Resources Director is a functional role which leads HR practices and objectives that fosters an employee-oriented, collaborative culture emphasizing open communication, goal attainment, and leadership and development. This role serves as a trusted advisor to leaders across the organization to ensure a seamless design and execution of HR initiatives in support of our mission and business objectives and reinforcing the organization's values. The Director collaborates for appropriate outcomes which balance employee needs, policies, procedures and compliance with regulatory standards and mission and values. This role will lead primarily through influence vs. authority with empathy and humility and will be a role model for others to do the same.
- Guide efforts to drive employee engagement and infuse the values of diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our internal culture, systems, and practices.
- Provide leadership and direction to the HR team and other resources assigned to ensure focus, aligns with business strategy and addresses employee needs at all levels; selects, develops, evaluates team within assigned areas of responsibility with a goal of earning a high level of credibility as an effective and responsive internal consulting group.
- Serves as a member of the leadership team and as an advisor on key people initiatives; participates actively in strategic and operational planning.
- Assesses and reports on employee engagement and satisfaction in the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Partners with the senior leadership team to develop optimal organizational structures that support growth and scale.
- Collaborates to help build more effective cross-departmental and internal communications across the organization.
- Ensures job descriptions, performance standards, and performance evaluation instruments promote operational excellence and accountability.
- Leverages relevant employee data to provide insights into the health of our team, driving action plans at appropriate levels. This will be accomplished through the development and implementation of a human resources dashboard of key performance indicators with underlying analytics that support effective problem solving and decision making.
- Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues with support from the Employee Relations Specialist.
- Utilizes consulting skills and change management techniques to elevate leadership competency.
- Infuses cultural cornerstones/values into all programmatic efforts; from policies and trainings, to talent management and engagement.
- Coaches and mentors managers to become better leaders and provide their employees with the support they need to be successful.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or a related field or equivalent work experience.
- 8-10 years of professional human resources experience, with 5+ years of leadership experience at the Director level – SPHR certification a plus.
- 3+ years’ experience in support of a multi-site/location, experience working in a union environment is a plus.
- Demonstrated strategic HR excellence, including leading/participating in change initiatives, and in-depth knowledge of employment laws and applicable regulations.
- Proven ability to hire, develop, and retain effective, diverse teams.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership of both strategic and tactical HR functions, as well as serve as a motivating staff manager.
- Excellent relationship-building skills, with a demonstrated ability to develop productive working relationships.
- Multicultural awareness.
- Experience in an ambiguous environment with the ability to adapt to ever changing circumstances.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence, listening and communication skills.
- Strong experience guiding culture development at growing organizations.
- Deep understanding of how effective culture and employee growth initiatives work within organizations of many scales.
- Guide leaders and employees regarding Company policies, values, HR programs (benefits, pay and salary) administration and interpretation to ensure policies and procedures are handled consistently and promptly.
- Accurately diagnose organization issues, develop solutions and implement action plans.
- Ensure activities comply with all state and federal employment laws and regulations (e.g., FMLA, ADA, EEO, FLSA and CHAP).
- Assist leadership in performance management and developing effective pipeline and succession plans.
- Ability to identify issues impeding team and individual growth and a sense for how to address those problems.
Equal Opportunity Employment: We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class.