$22.86 - $26.29 Hourly
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization is a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. KCHA is a national leader in providing innovative and effective housing solutions so that people and communities can prosper. Our vision is that all residents of King County have quality affordable housing. KCHA is the largest housing provider in the county, and annually, the agency serves over 55,000 low-income individuals.
We transform lives through housing.
We are recruiting for a talented, detail oriented, and customer service focused Housing Specialist, based in Tukwila. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, enjoys a diversity of customers, and is committed to the highest standards in public service. Multiple positions may be filled through this process.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Able to provide exceptional customer service to a diverse population of internal and external stakeholders.
- Confident as a public speaker with excellent presentation skills.
- Resourceful and able to independently address and resolve issues as they arise.
- Highly skilled as an effective communicator both verbally and in writing.
- Flexible and able to adjust to shifting priorities and needs while maintaining a positive attitude.
- A collaborative team member who is also a strong leader with well-developed organizational and time management skills.
- Able to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Reliable, with a proven reputation for being consistently dependable.
This role supports the Housing Choice Vouchers Program. The individual selected will be responsible for determining initial eligibility for housing assistance. They will calculate and certify client rent portion and will conduct briefings on program requirements. The work will also include using specialized housing software to document and maintain on-line records.
- Meets with applicants from Tenant-based programs, oversees waiting list and executive waivers to determine eligibility; meets with individuals to determine if they meet housing preferences; determines additional information needed to complete briefing process; calculates income, determines deductions and number of bedrooms a family should obtain as defined per rules in the administrative plan.
- Verifies employment, disability, assets, INS status, criminal history, earnings and related reports, tax records and related applicable expenses to calculate average monthly income and expenses; calculates estimate rent maximums and estimated housing assistance payments; creates applicant vouchers and submits applications to supervisor for approval; for decisions of ineligibility, prepares letter of denial for supervisor approval and calls applicant with decision.
- Schedules briefing dates and times and mails out packets, determines number of names to be pulled off the wait list to maintain 100% utilization; provides briefing orientation presentations explaining rules and regulations of the housing program; outlines materials and documents and next steps; answers questions on program; inputs all applicant information into the computer system; cancels waiting list applications and changes eligibility status in computer.
- Provides customer service by answering phone calls, returning voice mails and responding to email requests.
- Communicates with housing authorities regarding income portable vouchers. Assists with the coordination of incoming portables; completes required paperwork and forwards to the responsible agency.
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance with the ability to arrive on time.
Click here for additional details regarding this position's classification specification.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- High School Diploma or GED AND
- Two years of experience with subsidized and/or affordable housing programs OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A collaborative team member who works effectively and productively with others; participates and fosters teamwork, builds rapport and acts as a positive influence to the team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly and effectively communicate with individuals and groups; ability to present and explain complex information regarding policies and procedures.
- Uses systems to organize, prioritize, and keep track of information and/or work in progress; maintains accurate and complete electronic and manual records; exhibits attention to detail; ability to multi-task in a high-pressure environment.
- Uses critical, creative, and reflective thinking skills to identify problems, analyze and evaluate various solutions, and monitor their effectiveness.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to a diverse population of internal and external stakeholders; ability to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong, positive interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively; remains professional, calm and tactful in stressful situations while adhering to a high standard of integrity, honesty, and confidentiality.
- Reliable, with a proven reputation for being consistently dependable.
- Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities; responds to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- Values organizational diversity; treats other with respect; promotes cooperation; works effectively and positively with individuals of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and educationally diverse populations.
- Proficiency using MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and the internet; skill and ability to learn and use agency software housing management program (Tenmast).
- Consent to and pass required assessments.
- Consent to and pass criminal records background check.
POSITION INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range of this position is $22.86 – $26.29 per hour. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, reduced tuition, and retirement benefits are also available.
Physical Work Environment:
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is primarily performed in an office environment; the incumbent will frequently use standard office equipment including personal computers, telephone and related equipment. May work in a high-volume processing office with tight deadlines.
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.