Please note this position is open until filled; however, to ensure consideration applications should be received by January 26, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
Are you looking for more than just a job? Looking for an opportunity to be passionate about what you do while providing resources to your community? Do you have great attention to detail and enjoy providing exceptional customer service? And are you someone that thrives in a fast-paced environment? If so, this position may be for you!
King County Housing Authority is currently recruiting for a dedicated mission driven individual to fill our Property Specialist position to support our Juanita Court portfolio in Kirkland, Washington.
The Property Specialist is a key role in the housing program. We are looking for an individual that enjoys working with people, can multi-task and will thrive in a role performed onsite at the housing properties. The work will include a variety of assignments including working with diverse tenants, tenant file processing and administrative and office support functions.
The successful candidate will be:
- Assisting a vibrantly diverse tenant and applicant population by answering questions; taking complaints and/or requests for work orders; and referring people as necessary based on individual issues presented.
- Processing tenant files and performing administrative and office support functions.
- Processing continuing eligibility for housing assistance; calculating rent based on program requirements and submitting the information to the Property Manager for approval.
- Documenting and maintaining case files and on-line records.
- Entering, tracking and closing work orders for maintenance requests as well as time records for property staff.
This role is performed under the general supervision of the Property Manager; however, much of the tenant contact is handled by the Property Specialist.
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization is a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. To learn more about KCHA and our Mission visit this link.
The Property Specialist will:
- Serve as the main point of contact for walk-ins, phone calls, and emails; greet applicants, tenants, and visitors; explain processes and procedures, answers questions, makes recommendations and refers to appropriate department or individual based on needs.
- Process annual and interim reviews of tenant eligibility to assure compliance with HUD regulations; track and process completion with tenants; verify income, criminal history, and landlord history; calculate household income to determine tenant rent; complete tax credit paperwork with tenants.
- Manage and maintain resident files and records; ensure scanning and indexing of resident paperwork is done in a timely manner and consistent with policy and procedures; track outstanding purchase orders.
- Perform tenant accounting authorizing adjustments to tenant accounts, security deposits, rent changes, retroactive billings, and maintenance charges; manage and maintain resident files; ensure that all scanning and indexing of resident paperwork is done in a timely manner and consistent with policy and procedures.
- Coordinate with vendors; schedule services; create purchase orders for goods and supplies; take work orders from tenants and alerts maintenance staff; assist in inspections; request service for routine vendor repairs; schedule annual testing and inspections of fire extinguishers, alarms, back flow testing and storm water catch basin; schedule pest control treatments and maintains logs.
- Process move outs; schedule move out inspections; prepare charges and move out statements for residents; contact new resident and coordinate move-in date; create packets for new move-ins; schedule lease signing for manager; process move-in into the computer system; receive and process transfer requests when needed.
- Assist property manager with organizational initiatives, special projects, and daily operations; act as Property Manager in their absence.
Qualifications and Competencies
- High School Diploma or GED AND
- Minimal experience in customer service, public office or housing, tax credit programs, working in a team environment OR
- An equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience maintaining records (manual and electronic) and performing data entry with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proficiency using MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and the Internet.
- Clearly and effectively communicates both verbally and in writing by actively listening and sharing relevant information.
- Strong organizational skills including prioritizing, ensuring accuracy, multi-tasking, and handling interruptions appropriately; ensures assignments are completed in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to work effectively and positively with individuals of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability to think critically and creatively to interpret data and make conclusions; will question and search for answers; evaluates ideas and information and develops ideas that lead to action.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Consent to and pass required assessments.
- Consent to and pass a criminal records background check.
- Position may require travel to KCHA properties and sites. The successful candidate will need to have access to reliable transportation to meet the business needs of the Agency.
Position Information and Application Process
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range for this position is $27.00 - $33.07 per hour dependent on qualifications and professional experience. The complete salary range for this position is $27.00 - $39.15 hourly. Performance based merit increase opportunities and COLAs are reviewed on an annual basis. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, tuition reimbursement, and retirement benefits are also available.
Physical Work Environment:
This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions, frequently requires standing and sitting and occasionally requires walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and tasting or smelling; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to outdoor weather conditions and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.